Sunday, February 12, 2012

R.I.P. Whitney

I got up this morning, did the crossword, ate breakfast, then got my daughters up for church. Younger Daughter popped out with, "Did you hear Whitney Houston died?"

I didn't believe her at first. How could that have happened? She was such a talented singer, with so much to offer. When I was in high school and read Seventeen magazine, I saw the pretty young model and read that she was an aspiring singer. Her vocal career took off in the 1980s, my high school and college years, and I was impressed at the strength and power behind her voice.

Like so many of us, though, Whitney had her own demons. A tumultuous marriage to Bobby Brown, repeated miscarriages, drug use and abuse as her star rose. She admitted to Katie Couric that she was both "her best friend and her own enemy." I can relate. I am saddened to think that she was never able to overcome her demons and died tragically, of unknown causes, at the age of 48.

Now she is singing with the heavenly chorus of angels.

R.I.P. Whitney. We will always love you.

(Trying to link to the video - having some technical difficulties!)

 <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8QaI-M9sxW4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8QaI-M9sxW4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

No comments:

Post a Comment