Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I realized something today about having a non-linear brain: orderly subjects like geometry and symbolic logic elude me because I just don't think that way. You're supposed to go from point A to point B to point C in order. My brain goes from point A to point B to point Z, and hey! that makes me think of point J . . . and so on. It's good for creativity, but not so good for the logical patterns of life. Ah, well, I know it, and I just have to work around it.

I think that's why I do well writing everything down where I can see it, and having orderly lesson plans. I need things written down to keep me straight; I am overwhelmed when the plans go awry. But I don't let on to my students that I'm feeling out of control, of course.

I will leave you with "A Teacher's Motto":

I will not yell in class. I will not throw things in class. I will not get mad and hit anyone in class. I will not have a temper tantrum, and I will always be good . . . because I am the teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment